! ------ SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION ------ !

10 July, 2009

Autscape

Autscape is a conference with a difference. Rather than talking to a primarily non-autistic audience about autism, this conference is specifically by and for autistic people. Some of it isn't even about autism at all! Non-autistic people are also welcome, but the environment and content of the event are centred around autistic people's needs, interests and sensitivities 


Autscape lasts three days in which there are workshops, leisure activities, social opportunities, and more, all specifically oriented to the needs and preferences of autistic people

"Last week I attended a conference called Autscape. It is organised by autistic people for autistic people. The idea is to create some 'autistic space' where we can behave in an autistic way without fear of judgement. Typical autistic interests and sensitivities are catered for. Guests are expected to participate as much or as little as they wish to. Visiting speakers were all adults with autism (although non-autistic speakers would be considered provided they had something interesting to say to - not about - autistics ).

It was great to meet other people like myself, and many people very different from me with the same diagnosis. It was wonderful to be able to wander off on my own for a whle without people following me to ask if I am OK. I learned a lot about how to cope better in this world. I also learned that it's OK to be different, and not not fit in. I realised that I will always be like an alien in this world, but that this is OK. I learned that, although I do need to participate in this world, I do not need to integrate myself into it, it's acceptable to live on the edge of it. I learned communication strategies so that I can deal with this world when I need or want to.